Companies are currently racing to hire full-stack developers due to their high demand. Over the past few years, full-stack development employment has drastically increased in specific countries and globally.
The significant aspect of web development is interfacing, server-side logic, and databases that different developers manage. However, full-stack developers work on
- Interfacing (front-end systems) to translate the wireframe developing user-friendly applications,
- Server-side logic to develop content and data using Java, Ruby, and Python as core programming languages, web servers, and frameworks.
- Databases for data indexing, storing, connecting to a site with API, and general queries.
Full-stack developers are the game-changer in the present market with their ability to build robust solutions and work on all the significant aspects. These developers make a whole new difference in delivery and development, allowing businesses to grow in the market.
Tips to consider while hiring full-stack developers
You know all the basics of hiring when looking for a full-stack developer. Here are some tips that can come in handy in your search.
1. Enticing full-Stack Job Listing
If you want to hire the best full-stack developer, ensure to write the job listing that can hook them. Just listing down a few responsibilities and about the company won’t be enough for the top talent. Make the opportunity unique that can make them give an interview. You can do so easily using the following pointers:
- Create a hook in the first line compelling the job seeker to look for the whole description
- List down the team members that the potential developer will work with (this will give them a chance to know the people and connect with them too)
- List down platforms, libraries, and tools clearly that you want to hire for (avoid using “Etc” as it can contain ample of things)
- Mention primary responsibilities to give them an understanding of what they will require to do
- Include a summary of your company and work culture
- Mention benefits of the specific role (answer the question “why they should opt for this role”)
- Include a concise description of the product (without jeopardizing the significant facts)
- Call-to-action such as email us and attach your resume to compel them to move forward
#2 Check for educational qualification
It is not easy to hire full-stack developers if you don’t know what they have done till now. Full-stack developers need to have a degree in Computer Science with a good experience in the major technologies like
- HTML/CSS is the go-to programming language for front-end developers. These languages help define the styles and build web pages using custom styling features. It also allows the developers to use frameworks and libraries using template technologies like HAML, pre-processors Pug, SASS, Stylus, and more.
- Libraries and frameworks such as Reach.JS and jQuery simplify Ajax interactions, DOM manipulation, event handling, and animation. It helps develop a full-fledged application with reliable frameworks like VueJS and AngularJS.
3. Know the key responsibilities of full-stack developers
Full-stack developers are known as “all-in-one” programmers who are taking the industry by storm. The key responsibilities to understand when you hire full-stack developers:
- Coordinate with other developers and designers in the team (other stakeholders)
- Troubleshooting issues associated with webpages
- Develop programs and applications
- Manage web development
- Developing RESTful web services
- Monitor the performance and optimize the system if required
- Understanding of Django and Angular
- Testing and debugging
- Optimizing UI/UX to develop a functional application
- Implementing security measures
4. Take advantage of tech communities
The best thing to do while looking for a potential full-stack developer is to connect with them in the tech communities. The hiring managers can know the candidates better in the communities by checking their profiles, questions-and-answers with others, interaction level, and understanding of their knowledge level. Several communities like GitHub and Stack Overflow are available, allowing developers to post questions and answers to connect with like-minded developers.
5. When to hire full-stack developers?
When does it make sense to hire full-stack developers?
- While looking for a product manager who can review the complete project and know the fundamentals of what goes on at each level.
- When you want to develop a minimum viable product for your website.
- When you are working on a fixed budget and don’t have the privilege to hire different developers (front-end and back-end) and database administrators.
6. Major skills required to hire full-stack developers
When you sit down to hire full-stack developers, there are several things that you must consider. One of the top things is the skill set of the developers. Full-stack developers should have the skills of graphic designer, developer, and database administrators.
- Proficiency in the database programming technologies like Mongo DB and MySQL
- Good understanding of web frameworks like Node JS and Django
- Basic understanding of hybrid mobile apps
- Know the working of single-page applications and media queries
- Context switch between domains
- Time management, self-motivation, and adaptability
- Critical analysis
- Attention to details
7. Niche job boards
Even though there are websites like Naukri, LinkedIn, and Indeed that offer an opportunity for employees and employers to connect, there are also niche job boards. These platforms have made it easier to communicate with full-stack developers via online tech boards such as RemoteOK, Top Tech Jobs, iCrunchData, Tech Careers, Startup Hire, Authentic Jobs, and many more.
8. Know the hiring mode
What type of candidate are you looking for – in-house developer, freelance, or offshore/onshore dedicated development team? When you are planning to hire full-stack developers, it is one of the major things that you need to consider.
- In-House Full-Stack Developers are responsible for all the in-house projects and work full-time with the organization. These developers can do the task and know how to get things started. However, it is best to hire a potential candidate that knows the ins and outs of full-stack development. It can be expensive and time-consuming, but the in-house full-stack developer will work for you until they leave the job.
- Companies hire offshore/onshore dedicated development teams to manage their projects. Consider outsourcing the project to another organization, offering them some control over the project. However, staying connected with the companies to track the work and give feedback as and when required is essential. It is often best to choose a company with the experience and market value to ensure your project is not going down the drain. However, these projects can be delayed by the outsourcing company, and there is a risk of overpayment too.
- Freelancer developers are the ones that work for the organization on a part-time or contractual basis irrespective of their location. The freelancers can perform specific tasks but have no responsibility for the project. The freelance full-stack developers will work on the assigned task, get payment, and are on their way without wondering about what is going on with the project later.
To hire the developers, the companies usually hire third-party or recruitment agencies that screen and interview the potential candidates. They extensively research the resume and check for potential candidates who can fit into the organization.
9. Know the salary structure across the globe
We have calculated the average salary of Full stack developer, which shows how it varies from region to region.
10. Technical and aptitude test
It is not easy to hire full-stack developers if you don’t know-how, especially in a remote environment. The hiring managers need to understand the programming abilities of the candidates before they can move forward with their applications.
Do You want to Hire Full-Stack Developers for Business?
Companies can follow these major strategies and tips when they hire full-stack developers. However, it is essential to know that basic research is critical when looking for a potential candidate. Several online tech communities can offer a platform to the hiring manager to see the candidate better and gather invaluable insights from them.
You never know when and how you can meet your potential full-stack developer. Conduct your research, follow the lead, connect with candidates, and take your time to ensure that you hire the right fit.