With the technological advancements and proliferation of the digital world, web development has become extremely important for businesses. Building an online presence has become essential for every company. And to do that, companies need custom websites.
A website exclusive to a company has many benefits. Websites establish the credibility of a business, help reach more customers, and can even work as an eCommerce platform to sell products and services.
Web development has, thus, become a very lucrative job. Web developers have also become very easy to find. But having so many choices has not made hiring the right web developer any easier.
When you want to hire web developers to build a website for your business, there are a lot of different parameters to consider. This article will list what to look out for when hiring a web developer.
What are the types of Web Developers?
When you set out to hire web developers, you must understand that there are different types of web developers in the market, and you have to hire someone according to your requirements.
- Backend developer: Backend development is like building your actual website beyond the interface. It focuses on developing the architecture and data handling aspects of your website. Backend developers are usually familiar with Java, Python, Rust etc. You have an entire website to build from scratch, and you would need to hire a backend developer.
- Full-stack developers: These are the developers who can develop both the client-side and the server-side of a website. Their knowledge about either frontend or backend development is not very in-depth. But they can build you an entire website. They will charge more, but it might cost you less than hiring separate front-end and back-end developers in the long run.
Reasons to hire web developers for your business:
- You might have a great website idea, but you don’t know the technicalities of building a website. Such a scenario can spell disaster.
- When you hire web developers skilled in website development, you also get to share their experience in the field. You can relegate all the responsibilities regarding web development to the developer and focus on other aspects of your business.
- An experienced web developer will have the right tools and expertise to build you a customised website. Such a website will be geared towards your customer niche and address their problems.
- Having a custom website will help you stand out in the market, impress customers, and beat the competition. And it will only be possible to build such a website with the help of an experienced web developer.
- These days, every other business in the market has a website. So, to be at the top of your game, you need to incorporate the latest technologies into your website.
- An experienced developer who has been working in this industry for a long time will be familiar with all the latest technologies. He will help you build a top-notch website with cutting-edge technologies.
- Ranking high on search engines is crucial for your website’s success. An expert web developer will know SEO techniques and how to leverage them for a website’s success.
- Building and launching a website is often the tip of the iceberg. The website you have built needs to be continuously updated to minimise the chances of cyberattacks.
- Customers will also remain safe on a website with any security glitches fixed. An experienced and professional developer will provide aftercare support for your website after it has been built.
Steps to hire web developers:
To hire web developers, you need first to map out the steps you should follow.
1. Identify the type of website you want to build:
Without understanding your goals and the kind of website you want to develop, you can’t hire the right developer for your needs.
Decide on the complexity of your website. Discuss whether you want to build a simple website or incorporate new features into an already existing website with your team.
Or whether your goal is to build a complex website that requires complicated third party services integration, chatbots and cloud storage.
You also have to understand why you are hiring a web developer. Whether you want to hire someone to work on a technology your team does not understand or if you wish to build a website from scratch will decide what type of developer you might need.
2. Decide on the relevant skills of the developer:
Depending on the type of work you want to get done, the skills your developer needs will vary.
If you want to beautify the user interface of your website and make it more aesthetic, you need a frontend developer. A front-end developer helps you beautify and improve the aesthetic aspect of your website so that more clients are attracted by it.
Whereas if you need to speed up your website and reduce the loading time, or you want to integrate third-party services into the website, you would require a backend developer.
If you want to build a website from scratch, you should hire a full-stack developer. They do away with the need to employ separate frontend and backend developers.
3. Where to look for developers:
Now that you have decided the type of developer you need for your business, it is time to look for them in marketplaces.
If you are a startup with a limited budget, you might want to hire full-time web developers. So, the IT Staff Augmentation business model sounds suitable for your business requirements.
You can also look for websites that offer client reviews of professional developers’ client reviews and then contact them for web development. You can hire through your business network as well.
4. Check out the web developer’s portfolio:
Once you start interviewing potential candidates to work on your project, you have to check out the person’s public profiles and job success rates.
You have to see whether they are good team players and are willing to work with the existing team. You have to know whether they are good communicators and can be easily approached.
Also, see whether they are interested in your business and proactive about the website development.
5. Decide on the working model:
Once you have hired a suitable web developer, decide if you would allow him one-time work or want him to work in your team.
If you want your developer to work on a one-time project, you will disclose the project guidelines and a designated deadline to him. Or, if you would like to hire him for the long term, you might want to introduce him to your team.
6. Decide on how you would pay the developer you have hired:
Like other full-time employees, you would have to pay the developers you hired. Decide how you want to pay.
You can pay when a project achieves completion. Or you can pay as you go if the project timeline and workload are challenging to determine.
Do You Want to hire Web developers for a New Startup ?
Building a digital presence that successfully markets your business has become an essential aspect of your company’s success. And to do that, you need to develop a personalized website for your company.
Making a website that impresses potential clients is not easy. This is where expert web developers come in and help you build a custom website.
Having the relevant skills and expertise is a prerequisite to being a credible web developer. However, you must also consider soft skills like communication and approachability when hiring candidates.