Splash pages and landing pages are two frequently misunderstood terms in the realm of digital marketing. Although they both act as an entry point for a website, they possess distinct differences in their purpose and function.
A splash page is typically a visually appealing introductory page that is displayed briefly before the main content of a website. It often includes eye-catching visuals, animations, or a simple message to captivate the visitor’s attention. Splash pages are commonly used to showcase a brand’s identity, promote a specific campaign, or provide a brief introduction to the website’s content.
On the other hand, a landing page is specifically designed to convert visitors into leads or customers. It focuses on a specific call-to-action (CTA) and is crafted with the intention of driving users to take a desired action, such as signing up for a newsletter, making a purchase, or filling out a form. Landing pages are usually optimized for conversion and have minimal distractions to ensure a clear and compelling message is delivered.
Understanding the distinction between splash pages and landing pages is crucial for implementing an effective digital marketing strategy. By utilizing the right type of page at the appropriate stage of the customer journey, businesses can maximize their chances of engaging visitors, capturing leads, and achieving their desired marketing objectives.
What is a Splash Page?
A splash page is like a captivating digital billboard, acting as the welcoming face of a website. It’s akin to the enticing cover of a book, designed to catch the reader’s eye and beckon them to delve deeper into its pages. Typically, a splash page is displayed momentarily before automatically guiding visitors to the main content of the site.
Contrary to a common misconception, splash pages can prove to be more than just unnecessary and bothersome. When utilized effectively, they become a powerful means to convey a brand’s message, exhibit its unique identity, and forge an indelible first impression in the minds of visitors. With carefully crafted content and visually appealing elements, a well-designed splash page can leave a lasting impact and set the stage for a remarkable browsing experience.
Imagine a splash page that greets visitors with a breathtaking image, perfectly encapsulating the essence of a brand. As the image fades in, accompanied by a subtle animation, the visitor’s attention is immediately captured. The carefully chosen color scheme and typography further enhance the visual appeal, creating a cohesive and immersive experience.
But a well-designed splash page is not only about aesthetics. It also serves a functional purpose. Imagine a splash page that features a concise and compelling headline, succinctly summarizing the brand’s mission or offering. Supporting text provides additional context and entices visitors to explore further. Clear and intuitive navigation options guide visitors seamlessly to the main content, ensuring a smooth transition from the captivating splash page to the rest of the website.
The impact of a well-designed splash page goes beyond the initial visit. It leaves a lasting impression on visitors, creating anticipation and curiosity for what lies ahead. It sets the tone for the entire browsing experience and establishes a strong foundation for building trust and engagement.
In conclusion, when thoughtfully designed and executed, a splash page can be a valuable asset for any website. It has the potential to captivate visitors, convey a brand’s message, and create a memorable and delightful user experience. So, next time you think about dismissing a splash page as unnecessary, consider the opportunity it presents to make a remarkable first impression and create a lasting connection with your audience.
Pros and Cons of a Splash Page
While a well-designed splash page can have numerous benefits, it is important to also consider the potential drawbacks of using one for your website. Here are some pros and cons to keep in mind:
Speedy loading vs. potential delay
Incorporating a simple and minimalistic splash page into your website can significantly enhance its speed and loading time. By minimizing the number of design elements, you create a streamlined user experience that ensures swift access to your content. However, it is important to note that if your splash page includes large images or videos, it may have an adverse effect on the loading process, potentially slowing it down for visitors. Therefore, optimizing the size and format of media files is crucial to strike a balance between aesthetics and performance.
Gives a choice vs. forces engagement
Some websites utilize a splash page as a way to give visitors the option to either enter the website or continue to another destination, such as a social media account or email subscription form. This can be beneficial in providing choice and control to users. However, it is important to consider that forcing engagement through a mandatory splash page may lead to frustration and decrease user satisfaction. It is important to carefully weigh the purpose and necessity of a splash page for your specific website.
Showcase the brand image vs. potential disconnect
A visually appealing splash page can effectively convey the personality and branding of your website. This can help create a cohesive and memorable image for your brand, leaving a lasting impression on visitors. However, it is important to ensure that this brand image aligns with the overall design and content of your website. A disjointed or inconsistent experience between the splash page and the rest of the website may create a disconnect for visitors and potentially impact their perception of your brand. Therefore, it is crucial to maintain consistency in design and branding throughout all pages of your website.
Feedback section for visitors
A splash page can also serve as a great opportunity to gather feedback from visitors. By including a brief questionnaire or rating system, you can gain valuable insights into the first impression and overall user experience of your website. This feedback can then be used to make necessary improvements and adjustments to enhance the user experience and ultimately drive more conversions.
There are some disadvantages to this as well. They include:
Outdated splash page
Having an outdated or irrelevant splash page on your website can create confusion and uncertainty for visitors. When users encounter a splash page that doesn’t align with the content they expect, it may raise doubts about the credibility and professionalism of your website. This can leave a negative impression, suggesting that your site is not regularly updated or maintained. As a result, it’s crucial to ensure that your splash page accurately represents your brand, offers relevant information, and reflects the up-to-date nature of your website. By doing so, you can build trust, enhance credibility, and provide a seamless user experience for your visitors.
Faulty JS connection
Low SEO score
Splash pages can also have a negative impact on a website’s SEO score. This is because search engines often prioritize the content of a page, and splash pages typically contain little to no text or relevant information. As a result, your website may not rank as high on search engine results pages, leading to lower visibility and fewer visitors. To combat this issue, consider incorporating relevant keywords and content onto your splash page, ensuring that it is also optimized for search engines.
Splash pages can also cause unnecessary delays in loading a website. This is because they require an additional click or action from the user before accessing the actual content of the site. In today’s fast-paced online world, users have a short attention span and may not be willing to wait for a splash page to load before accessing the desired information. As such, it’s important to consider the loading time of your splash page and ensure it is not causing any unnecessary delays for your visitors.
Differences Between Splash Pages and Landing Pages
While splash pages and landing pages may seem similar at first glance, they actually have different roles and unique characteristics.
A splash page is commonly employed as an introductory page that precedes the main website or content. Its purpose is to captivate visitors and create a memorable first impression. Splash pages often feature eye-catching visuals, animations, or brief messages that entice users to navigate further.
On the other hand, a landing page serves as a standalone page designed for specific marketing or advertising campaigns. It is meticulously crafted to guide visitors towards a particular action, such as making a purchase, signing up for a service, or filling out a form. Landing pages are optimized for conversion and typically have persuasive copy, compelling visuals, and clear call-to-action buttons.
Understanding the distinctions between splash pages and landing pages can help businesses tailor their web presence and marketing strategies to effectively engage their target audience and achieve desired outcomes.
|To captivate users with an introductory page before they reach the main site
|To convert visitors into customers or leads with a targeted marketing approach
|Design and Content
|Often features bold visuals or animations with minimal text
|Contains persuasive copy, compelling visuals, and a clear call-to-action
|Acts as a welcome screen or gateway
|Provides detailed information focused on a specific offer or action
|Time on Site
|Brief, not meant to hold visitors for long
|Longer, designed to engage visitors with content and encourage interaction
|Low; not typically used for achieving direct conversions
|High; optimized for conversion, such as collecting emails or making sales
|Use in Marketing
|Sets tone or brand image, may not be linked to marketing campaigns
|Tightly integrated with specific marketing or advertising campaigns
|Expect a quick transition to the main content or website
|Expect to receive a specific offer, information, or opportunity in exchange for an action or detail
Seven Splash Page examples for inspiration
Age verification (Budweiser)
Budweiser’s splash page for age verification serves as a necessary barrier to ensure that only individuals of legal drinking age access their website. The simple design and clear call-to-action make it easy for visitors to verify their age and enter the site.
Legal verification– Budweiser’s age verification splash page not only meets the necessary legal requirements but also goes above and beyond by emphasizing their unwavering dedication to promoting responsible consumption of their products. By implementing this splash page, Budweiser ensures that all users are of legal drinking age and can enjoy their beverages responsibly, fostering a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
Gradient imagery– The thoughtful use of gradient imagery on the splash page adds a modern and visually appealing touch to the brand’s image. The smooth transition of colors creates a sense of depth and dimension, capturing the attention of visitors and inviting them into a welcoming atmosphere. This creative design choice not only enhances the overall aesthetic but also reinforces the brand’s commitment to innovation and creativity. The combination of vibrant hues and subtle gradients creates a captivating visual experience that leaves a lasting impression on anyone who encounters it.
Delicious newsletter signup (Gimme Some Oven)
Gimme Some Oven’s splash page for their newsletter signup is a prime example of how to effectively capture leads and grow an email list. The page’s clean and eye-catching design, coupled with a strong incentive, makes it hard for visitors not to subscribe.
Incentivized offer– Gimme Some Oven’s clever use of an incentivized offer to grow their email list is a foolproof strategy for boosting conversions. By offering a free recipe book to subscribers, the brand not only entices visitors to sign up but also adds value to their subscription. This mutually beneficial arrangement creates a win-win situation for both the brand and its audience.
User-friendly design– The simple and user-friendly design of the splash page makes it easy for visitors to navigate and understand the purpose of the page. The clear and concise messaging, coupled with an uncluttered layout, allows for a seamless browsing experience. This makes it easier for visitors to make a decision quickly and increases the chances of them subscribing before leaving the page.
Mobile-friendly email list signup (Tom Ford)
Tom Ford’s email list signup is a perfect example of how to optimize for mobile users. The brand understands the importance of catering to the growing number of mobile users and has created a seamless experience for them.
Easy-to-fill form– The signup form on Tom Ford’s page is clean, minimalistic, and easy to fill out. Visitors can quickly input their information and subscribe with just a few taps, making it convenient for mobile users on-the-go.
Clear call-to-action– The call-to-action button is prominently displayed in a contrasting color, making it easily noticeable. This makes it easier for visitors to take action and subscribe without any confusion or distractions.
Progressive profiling– Tom Ford’s signup form only asks for essential information, like email and name, making it less intimidating for visitors to subscribe. Once subscribed, the brand can use progressive profiling techniques to collect more data from subscribers in a non-intrusive manner.
Creepy cool email capture (KILLSTAR)
KILLSTAR is a brand known for its edgy and alternative aesthetic, and they have managed to incorporate that into their email list signup as well. Their approach may seem unconventional, but it has proven to be effective in capturing the attention of their target audience.
Unique design– The email capture form on KILLSTAR’s website features a dark and gothic design, staying true to the brand’s image. This unique design not only captures the attention of visitors but also sets the tone for what they can expect from the brand.
Compelling copy– The copy on KILLSTAR’s email capture form is bold and edgy, using phrases like “Join the coven” and “Summon our newsletter.” This language speaks directly to their target audience and entices them to subscribe to KILLSTAR’s newsletter.
Exclusive perks– In addition to the unique design and compelling copy, KILLSTAR also offers exclusive perks for subscribers. This includes early access to new collections, special discounts, and insider information on upcoming events. These perks add value to the subscription and make it even more appealing.
Email in exchange for a special discount (J. Crew)
Crew takes a different approach to email capture by offering a special discount in exchange for an email address. This strategy has proven to be successful for the brand, as it not only encourages visitors to subscribe but also entices them to make a purchase.
Instant gratification– By offering a discount immediately upon subscribing, J. Crew taps into the human desire for instant gratification. Visitors are more likely to subscribe when they know they will receive something in return right away.
Clear call-to-action– J. Crew’s email capture form has a clear and concise call-to-action, prompting visitors to “join our list and enjoy 15% off your next purchase.” This straightforward language makes it easy for visitors to understand the benefit of subscribing and encourages them to take action.
Report download (Conversion Gods)
Conversion Gods uses a similar approach to J. Crew by offering a valuable resource in exchange for an email address. Their website features a pop-up window that promotes their free report on “10 Ways to Increase Conversion Rates.” This tactic not only captures emails but also positions the brand as an expert in their field.
Establishing authority– By providing a free report on conversion rates, Conversion Gods established themselves as an authority in the field of digital marketing. This not only helps to build trust with potential customers but also sets them apart from competitors.
Targeted audience– The report on conversion rates specifically targets their audience of marketers and business owners looking to improve their online conversions. By offering a resource that directly addresses their target market’s pain points, Conversion Gods is more likely to capture high-quality leads.
Social proof– On their website, Conversion Gods prominently displays logos and testimonials from satisfied clients. This social proof adds credibility to the brand and encourages visitors to trust their expertise and sign up for the report.
Language selection (Zara)
Zara’s email capture form is available in multiple languages, catering to their global customer base. This attention to language selection not only demonstrates their commitment to inclusivity but also makes it easier for visitors from different countries to understand and engage with the brand.
Personalization– By offering a variety of language options, Zara shows that they value their diverse audience and are willing to cater to their individual needs. This personalization can help the brand establish a deeper connection with customers and foster loyalty.
Expanded reach– By providing information in different languages, Zara is able to reach a wider audience and potentially attract new customers from various regions. This can also help the brand tap into new markets and expand their global presence.
Improved user experience– Offering language options can greatly improve the user experience for non-native English speakers, allowing them to navigate and engage with the brand more easily. This can also lead to higher conversion rates as it removes language barriers and makes the brand more approachable.
Four tips for creating an effective splash page
Consider using popups or overlays instead of an entirely separate splash page
By skillfully implementing this well-thought-out strategy, you can effectively minimize any potential disruption to the user experience, ensuring that visitors are not compelled to immediately leave your site. This strategic approach not only guarantees a seamless browsing experience but also significantly enhances the chances of higher engagement and conversion rates. Moreover, it establishes a solid foundation for building long-lasting relationships with your audience, fostering unwavering brand loyalty, and driving sustained long-term success for your online presence. With this comprehensive and meticulous approach, you can create an immersive and captivating digital environment that captivates and resonates with your users, leaving a lasting impression and further solidifying your online presence.
Keep your splash page simple and visually appealing
When designing your splash page, remember to keep it simple and visually appealing. Avoid cluttering the page with too much text or graphics, as this can be overwhelming for visitors. Instead, use high-quality images or videos that can provide a strong visual impact and convey your brand’s message effectively. This will not only grab the attention of users but also leave a positive and lasting impression of your brand.
Make your splash page design responsive
In today’s digital world, it is essential to make your splash page design responsive. With the increasing use of mobile devices, ensuring that your website can be easily accessed on different screen sizes and resolutions is crucial. A responsive design will not only improve the user experience but also help in SEO optimization by making your site more accessible to a wider audience.
Keep an eye on the analytics
Don’t forget to track and analyze the performance of your splash page. Use tools like Google Analytics to measure traffic, bounce rates, and conversion rates. This data will help you understand how users are interacting with your splash page and identify any areas for improvement. It will also provide valuable insights into your target audience’s behavior and preferences, allowing you to tailor your splash page accordingly.
Determine the cost procedure of understanding the splash pages
Having a comprehensive understanding of the cost implications associated with the creation and maintenance of impactful splash pages is of utmost importance. By recognizing the financial aspects involved in designing and sustaining these pages, businesses can make informed decisions to optimize their resources and maximize their return on investment. Typically, the process may involve:
- Domain purchase and hosting: When it comes to purchasing a domain name, the cost can range from $10 to $20 per year, depending on the registrar you choose. Similarly, hosting services can vary in price, with rates typically ranging from $50 to $200 per year based on the level of service and resources provided.
- Design and development: Hiring a professional designer or developer for your splash page can greatly enhance its appeal and functionality. Costs for such services can vary significantly depending on various factors, including the complexity of the design and the experience of the professional. Generally, you can expect to invest anywhere from $500 to several thousand dollars for a custom, responsive design that truly represents your brand and engages your target audience.
- Maintenance and updates: Ensuring that your splash page continues to perform optimally requires regular updates and maintenance. By setting aside a yearly budget of $200 to $500, you can ensure that your page remains up-to-date, secure, and running smoothly. This investment will not only help to prevent any potential issues but also provide peace of mind knowing that your online presence is well-maintained.
- Analytics tracking: Understanding the performance and effectiveness of your splash page is crucial for making informed decisions. While many basic analytic services are available for free, more advanced tools and features may require a monthly investment ranging from $50 to $300. By utilizing these advanced analytics, you can gain valuable insights into user behavior, traffic sources, and conversion rates, allowing you to optimize your marketing efforts and drive better results.
- Marketing: Driving traffic to your splash page is essential for its success. Digital marketing efforts can be tailored to your specific goals and can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars monthly. The cost of digital marketing campaigns depends on various factors such as the scale and scope of your campaigns, the platforms you choose to advertise on, and the target audience you want to reach.
Suggested: How much does it cost to create an app
How can iTechnolabs help you to build splash pages?
At iTechnolabs, we understand the importance of a well-designed and functional splash page for your brand. Our team of experienced developers and designers can work with you to create a custom splash page that not only looks great but also effectively communicates your brand message.
We offer comprehensive services to help you build and maintain your splash page, including responsive design, regular updates and maintenance, and integration with advanced analytics and marketing tools. Our team stays up-to-date on the latest trends and techniques in web design and development, ensuring that your splash page is always ahead of the game.
- Tailored Design: At iTechnolabs, we understand the importance of a unique brand identity. That’s why our team collaborates closely with clients to craft a custom splash page that not only aligns perfectly with the brand’s aesthetics and messaging goals, but also captivates and engages visitors from the moment they land on the page. With meticulous attention to detail, we ensure that every element of the design reflects your brand’s personality and leaves a lasting impression.
- Expert Development: Our experienced developers are well-versed in the latest technologies and industry best practices. Leveraging their expertise, we guarantee that your splash page is built to deliver peak performance and exceptional user experience. From fast loading times to seamless navigation, we pay careful attention to every line of code to ensure that your splash page not only looks great but also functions flawlessly across all devices.
- Responsive Layouts: In today’s mobile-first world, having a responsive and mobile-friendly design is crucial. With our responsive layouts, your splash page will automatically adapt and optimize its display for different screen sizes, ensuring that users have a seamless and enjoyable experience regardless of whether they’re browsing on a desktop, tablet, or smartphone. By prioritizing mobile-friendliness, we help you reach and engage a wider audience.
- Analytics Integration: Understanding how your splash page is performing and how users are engaging with it is essential for making data-driven decisions. That’s why we offer advanced analytics integration, allowing you to track key metrics, analyze user behavior, and gain valuable insights into your splash page’s performance. With this information at your fingertips, you can continuously optimize and improve your page to drive better results.
- Maintenance and Updates: We believe that a successful splash page requires ongoing attention and maintenance. Our dedicated team is committed to providing regular updates and maintenance services, ensuring that your splash page remains fresh, functional, and up-to-date. Whether it’s fixing bugs, adding new features, or optimizing performance, we’ve got you covered.
- Marketing Strategies: Having a stunning splash page is only part of the equation. To drive targeted traffic and maximize your page’s impact, we offer assistance with digital marketing strategies. Our team can provide guidance and expertise on campaign strategies, helping you leverage various marketing channels to attract the right audience and achieve your goals. From search engine optimization (SEO) to social media marketing, we’ll help you create a comprehensive marketing plan that complements your splash page and drives results.
- Cost-Effective Solutions: We understand that every project has its unique budget and scope. That’s why we offer different service packages to provide cost-effective solutions tailored to your specific needs. Our goal is to deliver high-quality results without breaking the bank, ensuring that you get the best value for your investment.
Are you planning to create a high-quality splash Page for your business?
Choosing iTechnolabs for your splash page design and management carries with it the guarantee of an optimized online presence that captures the essence of your brand. Our expert team’s focus on cutting-edge design, paired with strategic analytics, positions your splash page as a powerful tool for making a strong first impression. The comprehensive maintenance and update services ensure that your site remains at the forefront of digital innovation, presenting a seamless and contemporary user experience. Moreover, iTechnolabs integrates effective digital marketing strategies to amplify your reach and engagement, thereby boosting your page’s performance and ROI. With our cost-effective solutions, you can rest assured that your investment will yield a splash page that is not only visually striking but also strategically positioned for business success.
- Bespoke Design Catered To Your Brand: At iTechnolabs, we understand the importance of creating a unique splash page that perfectly aligns with your brand’s identity. Our talented designers work closely with you to capture the essence of your business, ensuring that every element reflects your brand’s personality and values. With our tailor-made designs, visitors to your splash page will be captivated by a memorable and positive first impression, setting the stage for a meaningful and lasting connection.
- Ongoing Support and Updates: In the fast-paced and ever-evolving digital landscape, we recognize the significance of staying ahead of the curve. That’s why our commitment to you doesn’t end with the design phase. Our dedicated team provides continuous support and regular updates to keep your splash page modern, secure, and functioning smoothly. Whether it’s implementing the latest security protocols or incorporating new features and functionalities, we ensure that your splash page remains at the forefront of technology, delivering an exceptional user experience.
- Data-Driven Optimization: At iTechnolabs, we believe in the power of data to drive meaningful improvements. Leveraging advanced analytics and insights, we meticulously analyze user behavior, engagement patterns, and conversion rates to optimize your splash page for maximum impact. By understanding how visitors interact with your page, we can make data-backed decisions to enhance user engagement, improve conversion rates, and ultimately drive business growth. Every interaction counts, and our data-driven approach ensures that each one is a step towards achieving your goals.
- Integrated Marketing Strategies: Our expertise extends beyond design. We recognize that a well-crafted splash page is just one piece of the puzzle. To elevate your online presence and drive targeted traffic to your page, our team employs savvy marketing tactics. From search engine optimization (SEO) to social media campaigns, we develop integrated marketing strategies tailored to your specific objectives. By leveraging multiple channels and optimizing your online visibility, we ensure that your splash page reaches the right audience, generating valuable leads and conversions.
- Affordable Custom Solutions: We understand that every business has unique needs and budget considerations. That’s why at iTechnolabs, we offer competitive and scalable service packages to accommodate businesses of all sizes. Our affordable custom solutions are designed to deliver high-quality results without compromising cost-efficiency. Whether you’re a small startup or an established enterprise, our flexible packages ensure that you receive the best value for your investment, empowering you to achieve your business goals without breaking the bank.
At iTechnolabs, we are committed to helping businesses achieve their goals through innovative and data-driven splash pages. Our integrated approach combines design expertise with strategic marketing tactics, ensuring that your page not only looks great but also drives valuable traffic and conversions. And with our affordable custom solutions, we make it possible for businesses of all sizes to benefit from our services. With iTechnolabs, your online presence will reach new heights. Let us help you make a splash in the digital world and stand out from the crowd.
FAQs for What is a Splash Page?
What is a splash page example?
A splash page is a landing page that is used to introduce visitors to your website or promote a specific product or service. Some examples of splash pages include those that display a promotional offer, a countdown timer for an upcoming event, or a video showcasing a product.
How do you create a splash page?
Creating a splash page is a simple process that involves designing an eye-catching layout, including relevant information, and incorporating strategic calls to action. At iTechnolabs, we have a team of experts who can help you create a professional and effective splash page that aligns with your business goals.
What is splash page marketing?
Splash page marketing is a strategy that involves the implementation of splash pages as a promotional tool to captivate and entice visitors. These specially designed pages, with their visually appealing elements and compelling messaging, have the potential to not only attract a significant amount of traffic but also drive valuable conversions for businesses. By strategically incorporating eye-catching graphics, persuasive content, and clear calls-to-action, splash pages can effectively showcase products, services, or offers, creating a memorable and impactful user experience. In today’s digital landscape, where attention spans are short and competition is fierce, leveraging the power of splash page marketing can provide businesses with a competitive edge by grabbing the attention of potential customers and guiding them towards desired actions.
What is the purpose of splash pages?
The purpose of splash pages is to captivate and engage visitors, promote a specific product or service, and ultimately drive conversions. These pages serve as an introduction to a website or business, providing users with valuable information and enticing them to take action. Splash pages also have the potential to increase brand awareness and create a memorable user experience for visitors. Additionally, they can be used to highlight promotions, sales, or new products, making them a valuable tool for businesses looking to drive traffic and boost their online presence. Overall, the purpose of splash pages is to effectively communicate key messaging and motivate visitors to take action while establishing a strong brand image.
Are splash pages bad for SEO?
There is some debate over whether splash pages are bad for SEO (search engine optimization). Some argue that having a separate splash page can dilute the overall relevance and authority of a website, making it harder to rank on search engines. Others believe that properly designed and optimized splash pages can actually improve SEO by providing valuable information and targeted keywords to search engines. Ultimately, the impact of splash pages on SEO will depend on how they are implemented and whether they add value to the overall user experience. It is important for businesses to carefully consider their SEO strategy when incorporating splash pages into their website design. Overall, it is recommended to use splash pages sparingly and ensure that they provide valuable content and do not hinder the overall functionality or navigation of a website.
Is a home page a splash page?
A home page can be considered a type of splash page, as it is the first page that visitors see when they enter a website. However, not all home pages are designed specifically as splash pages. Some websites may have a more traditional layout with navigation and content on their homepage, while others may have a visually appealing design similar to a splash page. Ultimately, the designation of a home page as a splash page will depend on its purpose and design. Additionally, some websites may have a separate designated splash page that visitors are directed to before entering the main site, while others may not use a splash page at all.