Do not dare to call yourself an enthusiast developer if you cannot think of the most sensational thing that happened to the software development world. Please do not if ‘React’ is not the first thing that comes to your mind.
Afterall, React has been doing rounds in the software development arena since its inception in 2011. It is an open-source library which you can readily use for crafting exquisite UI/UX designs for web and mobile apps in no time. However, what may confuse you, especially if you are not a development fanatic and aspiring to build a web or mobile app, is the ReactJS vs. React Native debate.
ReactJS and React Native are two successful descendents of the React line. They enjoy the same level of popularity that has come to the share of React and the numbers clearly state so –
- As per Statista, ReactJS is clearly developer’s favourite after NodeJS as more than 40 per cent of the web developers use it to build powerful web applications as of year 2023
- Again, Statista claimed that React Native is the second preferred choice amongst mobile developers for cross-platform app development after the Google-built Flutter in the year 2022
Do not worry! We will not make you wait more and immediately jump to our impending ReactJS vs. React Native debate. Let us begin.
What is ReactJS?
Obviously, ReactJS is not like any other UI library because it treats a singular user interface (UI) as a harmonious blend of smaller components. These components can be used multiple times on the website in the same or different versions. Consequently, it makes designing and rendering of a user interface quicker and easier.
Of course, names of many big giants pop up when we talk about the web apps created using ReactJS. They are Facebook, Airbnb, Dropbox, Instagram, BBC, and Paypal, to name a few.
Advantages of using ReactJS –
Reusable Components –
As ReactJS allows you to reuse the components of the user interface, you avoid building a component from scratch every single time it occurs on the website and save a massive load of your development efforts.
Less Coding –
Easy Usability –
SEO Friendly –
When you build your website by leveraging ReactJS, you automatically enable your website to rate high on the lines of search engine optimisation (SEO). This is because of the server-side rendering and meta tags.
Faster Update –
Rather than modifying the actual DOM, you can update virtual DOM when using ReactJS. In this way, you change only the relevant component, and not the entire user interface, making rendering and updation easier.
Disadvantages of using ReactJS
Pace of Change –
With a gigantic community of developers at hand, it becomes quite natural that the ReactJS technology improves and evolves at an immense speed with which some developers cannot keep up.
Complex Codebase –
Poor Documentation –
The pace of updating the documentation concerning ReactJS has not been able to match the pace of advancement of ReactJS and has resulted in creating unnecessary hassles for a developer in case a glitch occurs.
Steps to create an Application using Reactjs
Follow the steps given below and get started with your app development process instantly –
- Obviously, the first and the foremost step is to create a react app installation
- When you are done with the installation, through a thorough look at the app structure
- Now is the time to kick off the react app development server
- After you do so, you can start working on your app and make relevant changes to it
- When you are done with the app development, it is important to rigorously test it using React testing library
- After successful testing of the app, you make necessary changes to the app’s metadata
- You must use asset like images and kickstart installation of dependencies
- You have to now import essential react components and complete CSS app styling
- Now is the time to create your react app and deploy it on the chosen platform
What is React Native?
The apps built using react native app development services are some of the most trendy apps in the app market. They are Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Ubereats, Skype, etc.
Do You still want to read more about: Why is React Native Framework Best for Mobile App Development?
Advantages of using React Native –
Code Reusability –
When you use react native framework, you can use 90 percent of the code created for android app for iOS app and vice-versa, enabling faster development of your app with lesser efforts.
Native Look –
Large Community –
It is quite evident that the react native framework enjoys quite a huge community of developers. Therefore, if you face a hurdle anytime developing your mobile app using react native, you must know that there is no dearth of support.
Rapid Reload –
React native’s live reload feature allows you to witness changes as you make them, which again saves a lot of your time and efforts as you get to reload only those components which needs modification.
When you use react native app development services, you need not have to hire two separate development teams as only one react native development team can create apps for both the iOS and android using a single codebase.
Disadvantages of using React Native
Debugging Issues –
If your react native developer do not hold a functional knowledge of programming language of the native code, we are really sorry to inform you that you may face severe difficulties in fixing the bug issues of your react native app.
Simple Interface –
If sophistication lies at the core of your app interface which cannot do without multiple number of advanced functionalities and react native UI components, then react native framework will be of very little use to you and your cross-platform app development.
Compatibility Issues –
The evolution of react native framework is considered slower when compared to rapid advancement in the software of the concerned devices. As a result, your react native developer may have to spend more time in coding in order to dodge compatibility issues.
Looking for more: Pros And Cons Of React Native App Development You Need To Know
Steps to create Cross Platform App using React Native
Tread onto the following path and your react native app will be successfully created –
- Firstly, begin with Node.js installation and then start the create-react-native-app installation
- As you are done with the above-stated installations, kindly run the app installed
- Create a login screen – basic or fancy – to begin with your development
- You would have to install three essential libraries switch are Firebase, NativeBase, and React Native Dialogue Input
- You have to now perform an important task which is to create a container for your cross-platform application
- Then, set up a constructor in order to bring your app to a default state
- Add signup, login, and sign out function for the target audience of your app
- Do not forget to create a ‘forget password’ option in your cross-platfrom app
Difference between ReactJS vs React Native
We are certain that you have gained a vivid understanding of reactJS and react native. However, a comparative analysis of the two will only make things simpler for you. Hence, we present to you below the major differences between reactJS and react native. Please consider reading –
For the purpose of installation of reactJS, you will have to use a command line tool named Node Package Manager (NPM).
However, for installing react native, you would not just need a Node Package Manager (NPM), but also a react native command line tool along with an integrated development environment (IDE).
For the purpose of rendering web applications built using reactJS, you have to make use of virtual DOM. A virtual DOM is basically a replica of the actual DOM.
However, when mobile apps built via react native framework are concerned, rendering takes place via native APIs so as to cater users with an app interface with more native feel.
However, react native framework uses its very own react native syntax that cannot render in HTML at all. Therefore, it cannot be used for building websites.
As far as reactJS is concerned, web development takes place in a much shorter time frame. Also, as codes can be reused in reactJS, development time further shortens.
However, react native framework enables development of mobile apps that are high-performing in terms of app experience.
Which one should you choose for your application development: ReactJS vs React Native?
Now when you know the significant differences between reactJS and react native, it is our duty to assist you to choose between the two keeping in mind your project requirements. Read the following and you will get an instant clarification –
- Obviously, for a simple to highly sophisticated web application, your only choice between reactJS and react native app development company is the former.
- As far as simple cross-platform app development is concerned, please choose react native framework without any question
- For very sophisticated mobile app interfaces, both reactJS and react native app development services are not a very favourable option
- React native framework may not be a good choice if your mobile app will need regular updation. However, reactJS will work
- Of course, go for react native framework when you aspire to give a rather authentic and native look to your mobile app.
Still do not know whether to choose ReactJS vs react native for your app?
iTechnolabs has made an informidable name as a react native app development company. Whether it is reactJS or react native framework, iTechnolabs’ dedicated developers know it all and endeavour to devise innovative app development solutions for its diverse clientele across the whole world.
iTechnolabs proudly possesses all the advanced technology and tools for the purpose of offering an unparalleled reactJS as well as react native app development services to you. Design, development, testing, deployment – everything becomes iTechnolabs’ responsibility as soon as you hire its dedicated react native developers. Connect with us today!
Frequently Asked Questions for ReactJS vs. React Native
1. ReactJS vs. React Native – what is the difference between the two?
We have neatly listed the key ReactJS and React Native differences. Take a look –
- We all know that ReactJS is used to build web applications, while React Native framework is primarily used for building mobile applications
- You can install the ReactJS library by integrating it with your HTML page. But for React Native framework installation, you would have to install ReactJS library, platform-specific IDEs, and other components.
- ReactJS makes use of its own components-based library to create exciting UI designs, whereas React Native uses native components and modules to build user interfaces that have larger native appeal
2. React Native vs. ReactJS – When can we use which?
We have listed below the diverse scenarios in which you can use React Native and ReactJS. Take a look –
Use ReactJS when you have to build –
- A very complex web application
- A high-performing application
- An application with fast development cycle
- An application with simple UI components
Use React Native when you have to build –
- A simple mobile application
- A cross platform application
- A mobile application with simple UI components
- A mobile application with native look and feel
- A highly-efficient mobile application
3. What are the pros and cons of using ReactJS?
The pros and cons of ReactJS have been lined up below. Take a look
- Learning made easy because of sufficient documentation
- Complex UI designs with reusable components
- Lesser time to market (TTM) with faster development
- Seamless development due to the presence of virtual DOM
- SEO-friendly web application development
- Speedier development hampers learning
- New advancements not covered by documentation
- Necessary inclusion of other components to build a full-fledged application
- ReactJS is used to build complex user interfaces of web applications
5. Is the React Native framework old?
- React Native framework may be one of the earliest cross-platform app development frameworks, but it is definitely not old
- It enjoys the support of a large community of developers who keeps on making numerous modifications in it to keep it updated with current technological trends
- As it is open-source framework, you can easily tweak some changes in the framework to make it suitable for your mobile application
Some outstanding apps have been made using React Native which are listed as under –