It was the year 2015. The digital world was not doing as well as it is doing today. The community of web wizards were particularly distressed. There were many hassles in their way to technological advancement. But one hassle bothered them the most – they had to create different codes for different platforms for a single application.
Life was devoid of any hope. But then something spectacular happened. The greatest of the great, Facebook, invented a cure for this problem of the web wizards. It was React Native – an open source framework that enabled the use of a single code for web, mobile, android, or iOS.
The wizards readily converted their existing mobile apps to React Native. Some started creating new ones with it. With its Midas’ touch, React Native transformed the digital world forever, for good. To all the web wizards out there, who have not used React Native yet, what are you waiting for? Just try making an app with React Native or convert your existing mobile app to React Native. We are 100% percent sure that you are going to do so right after you finish reading this blog.
What is cross-platform development?
We are well aware that React native is the talking point right now. However, we can not understand it thoroughly if we skip discussing what cross-platform development is.
Let’s assume you are a developer who has an advanced proficiency in Java language and refined experience in making apps for the android operating system. It is safe to say that you can easily build powerful android mobile applications.
But if you were to build the same application for the iOS operating system, things won’t look as simple as they looked earlier. You will have to learn Swift or Objective-C, gain a working knowledge of the iOS operating system and then create another codebase for the same application in Swift or Objective-C. Ages will pass, surely.
All you have to do is to write a code in one of these languages using the underlying structure of a cross-platform framework and boom! You have an application that runs smoothly and native-ly on multiple platforms without a single hitch. We can not think of anything even slightly superior than cross-platform development right now.
What is React Native?
If you want to build a mobile application that runs effortlessly on android as well as iOS devices, React Native framework is the essential key. It is an open-sourced framework available on Github. Therefore, accessing it is not at all a hindrance.
You can use its Java Script library to fetch the already-written code to build and add UI to the framework. If you want, you can always access some external UI library, only if they are compatible with the React Native framework.
The history of React Native framework
There is hardly any doubt that React Native framework is the present and the future of the mobile application development domain. Let us take a sneak-peek into the history of React native before we move ahead.
- It all began in the year 2011 when FaxJS came into existence
- FaxJS was a mock-up for a sophisticated framework for web applications that Facebook was in desperate need of
- In the very next year, FaxJS evolved into React Framework
- In 2013, React became an open-sourced framework, i.e. anyone can use it and modify it to build their websites
- In 2012, Facebook was determined to release a mobile application
- Facebook tried using HTML5 for rendering mobile applications, but failed miserably
- Doing so with the web-based framework posed many hurdles as mobiles and computers have very distinctive differences
- With a highly talented team, Jordan Walke of Facebook came up with React Native in the year 2015
- React Native became a framework for developing mobile applications and became open-sourced that very year
- React Native has not looked back since then and is evolving year after year
How does React Native framework work?
If you want to get the basics of the working of React Native framework, you have to understand it in terms of domains.
In React Native framework, there are two distinct domains –
- The other domain is built of native threads
The React Native framework is fundamentally a bridge through which information is exchanged between the two domains and tasks are accomplished on the mobile app.
Therefore, converting your existing mobile app to React Native is a very easy task because of the bridge approach.
What mobile apps have been developed using React Native framework?
The applications are one of the biggest hits in the mobile app development domain. They are the critical testimonies for one of the greatest inventions of developer-kind which is React Native framework.
Are you ready now to convert your existing mobile apps to React Native framework?
How to convert your existing Android (Kotlin/Java) mobile app to React Native?
- Firstly, set up a directory structure for your React Native project and copy your existing android project to it
- You have to configure your dependencies and project setup
- The next step in this conversion will be to enable the autolinking of native modules Autolinking allows your project to find the code and use it
- Get you internet permission ready and keep an eye on the configuration of other permissions too
- Enable the ClearText traffic which is disabled by default in android operating system
- Now, engage in code integration by following the steps given below
- You have to build an index.js file
- Now, simply add the React Native code
- Obviously, seek permission for development error overlay
- RenderRender JS component
8. Test your integration by running the server first and then the application.
Important Article: Why is React Native Framework Best for Mobile App Development?
How to convert your existing iOS (Objective-C/Swift) mobile app to React Native?
- For your React Native app, set up a directory structure and copy your iOS project to it
- Next, install JavScript dependencies to it
- As you are converting your existing iOS app to React native, you will need to install CocoaPods which is a tool for package management in iOS operating system
- Using CocoaPods, add components to your code and configure the dependencies
- The next step is code integration which has to be done by following the steps mentioned below
- You have to create a index.js file
- Now, add your React Native code to it
- Add a RCTRootView to your iOS app
6. Add a window reference to the app file if your iOS app is built using Swift language
7. Now, you have to add an App Transport Security exception
8. Test your app by running the server and application
What are the benefits of using React Native framework?
- Many Platforms, One Solution
- Intuitive User Interface (UI)
- Huge Community –
- Quick Reload –
- Big Money Saver
Uncountable, if you ask us. Who would not want to convert their existing mobile apps to React Native framework? We doubt that there would be any. Only the name of React Native echoes in the air when we talk of mobile app development. The reason is not one but many, which we have listed below –
Many Platforms, One Solution –
Let’s just talk about the obvious reason first. With React Native framework, you only need a single codebase for your iOS as well as android devices. No need to squander time, money and developers into writing different codebases, when your mobile application can function well with one on different platforms.
Wait, wait! If you have a web application also made using React Native framework, your development work for mobile is approximately ninety per cent already accomplished. Just sit back and relax!
Intuitive User Interface (UI) –
The React Native framework follows a component-based approach when creating UI for the application. What does this mean to you?
Huge Community –
Suppose you are writing code for mobile app development. Suddenly, you stumble upon a glitch in the framework you are working on and you can not find a way to fix the glitch. You need help but you do not know anybody having an advanced knowledge of the programming language or the framework. What do you do?
If React Native is the framework you are using to build your mobile app, then there are thousands of developers you can turn to. React Native has a large support tribe. The tribe is always ready to help you out and build your application.
Quick Reload –
No, you need to rebuild your app after you made some changes to its code for the UI. Atleast, you do not have to if you are using React Native.
React Native quickly reloads the app and allows you to see changes as you make them. You save plenty of your man-hours and brain cells because of React Native’s quick reload option. Also, compiling becomes a ducksoup because React Native allows you to reload only those areas which you have modified.
Big Money Saver –
This point is really an extension of the first point and demanded a special mention. If you are building an app or converting an existing mobile app to React Native, you are an entrepreneur for sure. For an entrepreneur, money is a limited resource.
When you use React Native, you use one code for multiple platforms. You do not need a separate team of developers for a separate platform. There you save money! A lot of it. Time is also money for an entrepreneur. You get to spend less time and your application reaches the market early. The shorter Time to Market (TTM) is a big-win situation for you.
Do we need to say more? We bet that we do not. We are sure that you are persuaded enough to convert your existing mobile app to React Native or just start with a new one.
How can iTechnolabs help you convert your existing mobile app to React Native?
When React Native framework is concerned, iTechnolabs is delighted to possess a large pool of talented developers who have a strong background and an exemplary knowledge base. We have delivered some very unique mobile apps using React Native framework and have helped our clients to convert their existing mobile apps to the React Native framework.
We follow an agile approach of development and hence create high-quality mobile apps in less than the stipulated time. We believe in delivering innovative user experiences at reasonable cost, hence making us the first-rate choice for you. Do not hesitate to reach out to us today!
Related Article: Why Should Startups Choose React Native Apps Over Hybrid Apps?
Do You Want to convert your Existing Mobile App to React Native Quickly?
Hire a dedicated react native app developer from iTechnolabs to convert your app and ask him to use React Native.
You can also hire an iOS or Android app developer to convert your iOS or Android apps to React Native. To collaborate, however, you will need a separate QA team and other developers.
You can employ a software development team from an established software development company to complete your project. This will ensure you receive the best market times.
iTechnolabs can help you if you don’t have the time to interview and research the best software company for Native development with React.